The dismantling of the historic Ashley/Tenney house on River Road in Claremont, N.H. will begin soon. The City of Claremont has contracted with Keeper Barn to remove the building from the property, which has been set for other uses.
The original owner of the house, Colonel Samuel Ashley, was a respected Revolutionary War veteran. Ashley’s regiment was sent to reinforce the American Army at Fort Ticonderoga in late 1776, and upon his return, Ashley served during the Battle of Bennington.
In 1782 he moved to Claremont, N.H., where he served as chief justice of the common pleas for Cheshire County. More details on Colonel Ashley’s life and military service can be found here.
More recently, Edward J. Tenney owned the home with his wife, Della. Edward served as a bomber pilot in the U.S. Army during World War II, for which service he received two Purple Hearts and a Distinguished Service Award. He practiced law in Claremont, where he was an involved community member, serving on the Claremont Police Commission, the Claremont School Board and was a member of the Sullivan-Windsor County Sheriff’s Mounted Posse. At the same time, Della Tenney worked as a N.H. Superior Court reporter, and has since retired to Georgia to live near family. More about the Tenney family and their lives can be found here.
The house will be dismantled by hand, removed, and stored until we can find a new home suitable for a structure with such history.